It takes something pretty annoying to drag me away from my family and onto the computer at the weekend but here goes…
I noticed a WSO being promoted fairly heavily late last week but I was busy with my ‘3 days, 3 gifts’ promo so I didn’t have time to check it out. Just from reading the promo emails coming in about it I thought something smelled a bit off.
I finally go around to reading the sales letter today and sure enough it was as bad as I feared, claims like this:
- Get unlimited content with a single click of your mouse
- Enjoy 100% original unlimited readable content
- 100% CopyScape passed
I knew immediately this was going to be complete BS. I was even pretty sure I knew what ‘tactic’ was being employed here but I wanted to confirm thing so I grabbed the software for $10.
Within 5 mins I was ‘re-writing’ my first article using this poor excuse for a piece of software. My suspicions where immediately confirmed.
What this software does is transform some (or all) of the characters from the article you copied into their respective HTML entities.
A HTML entity is simply a web-safe alternative representation of a character that can be used in web pages to represent special characters etc. It’s intended use is NOT to rewrite articles.
This is a 7 year old black-hat technique – this is not a new tactic, it’s been around for years. It’s very basic stuff. Worst of all though it is NOT safe for your websites.
Simply peppering the source of the article with HTML entities may well prevent Copyscape from identifying the article but CopyScape isn’t Google – do you honestly think Google can’t see through this crazy tactic? Trust me they can, they nullified this a long time ago.
Let’s assume for a moment it does work (it doesn’t) – but let’s assume it works like gangbusters – how long for? 1 month, 2 months, 6 months? Then all that hard work is wiped out in a single Google update. Is this any way to build a real business and income stream for yourself and your family?
This is a TACTIC pure and simple, this is not a STRATEGY, worse still this is a tactic that attempts to exploit a loophole that doesn’t even exist anymore!
Here’s the part of the sales letter that really annoyed me:
Q: “Is it safe to use Article Rewriter 2.0?” A: “Article Rewriter is 100% safe – you won’t get into trouble if you use it, However, I highly recommend that you not create an entire website with articles rewritten with my tool, mainly because it won’t be affective.”
What? This is nuts! If it’s 100% safe why can’t a build an entire website with it? Either it’s 100% safe or it isn’t, simple as that. Trust me this is not safe to use on your valuable websites or anything you want to stay alive in Google for more than a few months.
Here’s a few more reasons why I want you to avoid this and similar tactics:
- If you present one version of your text to search engines and another to humans you are technically cloaking and Google detests this
- The original text remains the same so at best you’re going to be accused of plagiarism at worst you’re going to get sued for copyright infringement
- Google doesn’t index keywords in isolation, it indexes them in the context of the surrounding words and sentence as a whole. This ‘tactic’ replaces the surrounding words with HTML entities i.e. garbage thereby destroying the context.
I could go on…
I wouldn’t actually mind too much if this software had been advertised as a blackhat ‘technique’ on a blackhat focused forum with warnings to use it only on throwaway domains. At least then your risks would be limited and you’d know what you where getting into. But this is on Warrior, as a WSO and being sold as something whiter than white – this is wrong. People who use this are going to get burned and that isn’t fair.
Okay, I’m running out of rant-steam now, but I want you to promise to do something for me tonight:
- If you haven’t bought this, then don’t, move on
- If you bought this software (or a similar tactic based ‘loophole’) then don’t use it and refund it
- If a marketer mailed you about this software proclaiming it to be ‘next best thing’ and not warning you of the problems it could cause to your business then I would seriously consider unsubscribing from him/her – they are either ignorant or worse still they don’t have YOUR best interests at heart.
Learning to recognise the difference between a tactic and strategy is one of the most valuable things you can do in this business, it will help protect you and keep you focused on the long game which is building a sustainable business now and in the future. It took me a long time to lean but now I can spot gimmicks and and tactics a mile off and I avoid them like the plague.
I hope this rant saved some of you some future heartache. Thanks for listening. I’d love to here from you in the comments below if it helped (or even if you think I’m out of line here, please leave a comment).